Sunday, August 5, 2007

Singapore




It was something of a struggle, but I finally made it to Singapore! This business trip has been in the works for weeks, but problems kept arising, and reservations kept being delayed and cancelled ... I was beginning to think I wouldn't make it at all, but instead flew up Saturday afternoon for a full day of tourist-ing before getting back to work Monday morning.

The trip definitely started off a bit bumpy. My flight reservations had been made in a rush Friday afternoon, and I had been given a 1-page itinerary, which I assumed signaled an electronic ticket. Arriving at the Singapore Air counter, however, I learned otherwise - my booking indicated that a paper ticket was required, and if I didn't have one, I would be required to purchase a second ticket. I tried to call the travel service we use, but got a busy signal. Finally, after being told that a new one-way business class ticket would cost me over U.S.$1000, I got through. I expected to be told, "This is an e-ticket! Let me talk to the Singapore Air agent!" Instead, the man on the other end of the line said, "Yes, this is a paper ticket. Are you at the counter? I'll get it there in five minutes."
It turns out my ticket was being kept by the airport management office, and sure enough, less than five minutes later it was delivered to me and I was successfully processed. It would have been valuable information to get before arriving at the airport, but no harm done! I made it through immigration and security, found a bookstore and a Starbucks, and boarded with the other lucky business class passengers for my first non-economy flight EVER.
Singapore Air, as it turns out, has been rated the best business class in the world, with fully flat beds and everything. It was PRETTY FREAKING SWEET. I had complimentary champagne before take-off, a television screen larger than the one on my laptop, and a tablecloth covering my tray-table. Even the business class pillows are better than those in economy! I actually found myself regretting that the flight wasn't longer!
Upon landing, I was greeted on the gangplank by (I'm assuming) a hotel representative. She drove me to immigration in one of those airport carts, got me processed by the manager of immigration without waiting in line, and then took me out to my waiting car. The Ritz knew who I was when I pulled up, and it was less than five minutes before I made it up to my 30th floor suite. It was late enough that I didn't bother exploring, instead curling up in my super-comfy bed and falling asleep.
It was hard to choose what should be done in my one day of vacation. I've talked to a number of people about things to see, and everyone recommended the Night Safari, which obviously can't be done during the day. In the end, I decided my top priority was the Botanic Gardens ... I haven't seen too much nature this summer, and was excited for the opportunity.
The gardens were BEAUTIFUL (pictures are up in another post), and I whiled away quite a long time there. It seems a popular spot for picnics and weekend relaxing - admission is free, and the grounds are spacious and well-groomed. While Singapore is just as humid as Hong Kong, the air is cleaner and thus less oppressive ... I haven't seen people this happy to be outside in Hong Kong!!
Afterwords, I came back to the real world and explored the surrounding shopping malls. Singapore, like Hong Kong, seems to be FILLED with shopping! The main shopping area is actually Orchard Road, which I drove down but didn't check out. Instead, I stuck to the six shopping malls within walking distance of my hotel. I was well-behaved, and bought nothing, but browsed extensively and also caught a showing of The Simpsons Movie, which doesn't come out in Hong Kong until I leave.
After dinner, I tried to focus on re-reading some documents I need to have down for work, but the sound of music coming from the marina distracted me, so I wandered down to the waterfront. August 9th is National Day, and in preparation, the city has (among other things) set up a free concert series. Tonight is the last night, a young local rock band with a pretty decent sound. Now, with me back in my hotel room, the band is still going strong, but I should get some sleep. Tomorrow, the vacation ends - I hope the work is half so interesting!

No comments: