Thursday, July 2, 2009

Midwinter Christmas

For anyone who's ever wondered what Southern hemisphere cultures think about celebrating Christmas in sunny December, you'll be relieved to know that quite a few people here think that's silly too. While Christmas obviously still takes place on December 25, a lot of people in New Zealand celebrate a midwinter Christmas as well - and so 41 Park Road (my apartment building) decided to jump on the bandwagon. Me and my friend Brodie got the University Accommodation office to give us some cash to throw our own party, and had a great night of food and drinks and holiday fun!


Preparation ... we had ordered (through the Uni catering services) two turkeys and a ham. And wound up with two hams and six rolled turkey breasts, pre-stuffed with apricot stuffing. Kind of annoying - and disappointing, as we were all excited for real birds - but the food turned out great! You can also see some effort being put into our authentic pumpkin pie (recipe courtesy of my mom!) ... wasn't great, but was the best pumpkin pie some of these people have ever had!


Me in my Christmas clothing! (After I finally got let back into my room, since I locked my keys in there mid-afternoon. The problem with starting the drinking at 3 in the afternoon ...?)



The carving station, post-dinner ... we did a pretty good job on that ham. And by "we" I mean the people who actually eat ham. I made a vegetarian lasagna for those of us who aren't big on holiday meats.

I tried to get everyone to dress in Christmas colors, but this was the only red Ed had. He kept it on only long enough for the photos ...




About half the desserts that made it to the table ... we ate WELL that night!

No comments: